Thursday, November 19, 2009

bathroom floor prep

14 hours down and 29 to go.. without a toilet of course! I must say that going without one when you're sleeping isn't a huge deal but getting up knowing you just have to hold it isn't the greatest way to wake up in the morning.

But the good news is the floor tile will be installed today! And once that sets the most challenging part of the renovation process will be done.. living without a kitchen is nothing compared to this.

So in an effort to prepare the floor for the tile Ben installed a new base floor and hardibacker last night.

Step 1- toilet and sink removal
Ben had asked the plumber to stop by yesterday afternoon and remove both the toilet and the pedestal. Unfortunately he never came so it was up to us to get it done. Obviously I don't have pictures of us taking them out (all hands were needed for the actual removal), but because there was still water in them we couldn't put them in the garage- Ben was worried they would freeze.
Doesn't everyone keep their toilet in the hall?

Step 2- base floor installation
Ben started installing the base on the pedestal side of the bathroom a couple of weeks ago, so last night he had to work in the toilet area.
sink area

toilet area

Step 3- hardibacker
Once the base floor was down Ben had to cut the hardibacker. Unfortunately I didn't get pictures of that either (my documenting skills have been suffering recently), but when he was cutting the hole for the toilet one of the boards snapped in half. Once it was cut to fit he installed it by using a layer of thinset between the base and the hardibacker. The same thinset will be used for the tile installation.
You can see the crack around the toilet hole above. But because the tile we opted to go with is small he didn't think that little snafu would be a problem.
I must admit the clean hardibacker floor is a huge improvement from the original. Remember what we started with??
original vinyl tile to the right, quick-fix contact paper lined floor to the left

Let's just hope the plumber shows up to re-install the fixtures so we don't have to go the weekend without a toilet..

Side note: Not sure if you all noticed but we do have new sheetrock in the bathroom! The new professional installer (Ben) was busy earlier this week. There are still a few areas to go but we're on our way to a fully insulated bathroom, with walls no less!

6 comments:

  1. My father and I renovated our bathroom a few months ago, since we both don't like the look of it. We bought a lot of things, from a toilet bowl to a new set of tile. Clearwater, where our house is located, we always want our surroundings to look good so we can feel good living at it. While my dad is finishing up the toilet bowl and the bathtub, I laid out all the materials for the installation of tile flooring (Tampa), so when he's done, we can both start the last part of renovation. The whole project took us a day and a half to finish fully, yet the bonding experience is totally worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very efficiently written information. It will be valuable to everyone who uses it, including myself. Thanks a lot .Broken immersion We offer a 24hr emergency plumbing service, if you need your water cylinder or gas boiler replaced call Dublin’s most trusted plumbing and electrical service today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dad and I redesigned our lavatory a couple of months back, since we both don't care for the look of it. We purchased a considerable measure of things, from a latrine dish to another arrangement of tile. Clearwater, where our home is found, we generally need our surroundings to look great so we can feel great living at it. While my father is completing up the latrine dish and the bathtub, I laid out every one of the materials for the establishment of tile ground surface (Tampa), so when he's set, we can both begin the last a portion of redesign. The entire task took us a day and a half to complete completely, yet the holding knowledge is absolutely justified, despite all the trouble.

    Research paper writing service

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you are right. I was pleased when I heard one of my student saying, "I like it here because you are not a bunch of eggheads." We definitely hire tutors who can develop a positive rapport with the student.

    Latest beauty products

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow!! This is something I‘ve been searching for a while. I am thankful to you for writing this article. I must say you are a wonderful blogger. I hope, I would read one of your another post soon!

    ______________________________
    Grommet Curtains

    ReplyDelete
  6. To a great degree inspiring to get some answers concerning some person looking for after their dream and getting the chance to be successful instead of taking after the ordinary path.I have scrutinized your article about certifiable estate.I trust it's extraordinary. I am uncommonly Impressed to Know your organization Thanks for offer this Information. various people like it .
    Kitchen remodeling contractors San Diego

    ReplyDelete