Tuesday, December 8, 2009

demolishing the kitchen

The kitchen is coming!! But before the cabinets can be installed we have to prep the walls and get the new plumbing and electrical done.

Earlier I had mentioned that we had to remove all of the existing sheetrock for the guys to get in there so last week I started moving our "kitchen" into our living room.. I'll spare you the details.. just know we are now living in very cramped corners!

We started with this..
and over the weekend Ben and I began hacking away at the kitchen walls..
Ben first removed all of the window and door casings, as well as the rest of the moldings and I made my way through some of the walls.
Ben cut the base cabinet in half so we could remove the area that was not attached to the sink. The plumber will come in and disconnect the sink before we remove the other half.
Just a little treat found underneath the cabinets..
There were two existing corner units that proved to be the most difficult to remove. They were built in such a way that they almost appeared to be original to the house. We quickly found out they were not (the corner cabinet was built over many old layers of vinyl flooring) but they were fastened to the walls in such a way that in many areas the walls came off with the pieces.
By Sunday night we were exhausted and while we still had a ways to go Ben started cleaning up and we decided we'd finish the rest later this week..
I've made my way through a few more areas the last couple of days and tonight we have to finish it up by removing the crown molding and getting rid of the rest of the nails.

By Thursday the plumber and electrician will have full access to the walls. The cabinets are being delivered on Friday afternoon- giving us the weekend to insulate the walls and install the new sheetrock. We had hoped that the cabinets would be installed early next week- in time for the appliance delivery on Wednesday, though it's looking like that might not happen. Unfortunately both Ben and I know delays are common and to be expected so we'll be patient.. once we have a finished kitchen it won't matter how many more days or weeks we waited for it.

In the meantime I still need to work on the counter tops and hardware!

6 comments:

  1. I keep waiting for pictures that look like it's finished!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's going to take a while before those appear!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Waiting to see where you find your granite, since we are a few months behind you and also on a budget. In another comment section I mentioned pre-fab granite, you may want to look it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pre-fab is great- I wish we could use it, but unfortunately I've customized the cabinetry just enough so that it won't work for us. Because we were working with a really small space I wanted to fit the most in I possibly could. We're going to Capital Stone this week- I'm hoping they have remnants available since we don't have much counter space- that will at least cut down the cost of goods. But I'll definitely let you know what we find!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck, I didn't find Capital Stone to be very helpful or great on price, but I hope they have remnants you can use. There is also a granite yard off exit 10 Ushers road that you may want to try. Since I don't have install skills probably end up at Lowes for the granite, based on price.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope it was great project and might have got good kitchen.

    Kimberly@ boiler repair

    ReplyDelete