Tuesday, December 22, 2009

kitchen update

Quick little update on the kitchen progress..

Cabinets

Because the Home Depot installers weren't able to fit us into their schedule until after the holiday we asked Jason of Progressive Finishes to do the job. He was able to get started on Sunday..
While he wasn't able to finish the whole job- he has to come back to install all of the crown and base moldings, but he worked hard to get all of the cabinets in so Capital Stone could come in and template for our counter tops this afternoon.

Counter Tops

A few weeks back Ben and I went to pick out granite for the kitchen. We opted to not even look at marbles because we wanted the most durable options- I tend to be all over the place when I cook and don't want to have to worry about being careful in the kitchen. We ended up going with White Diamond..
Obviously all slabs vary but at least you get the idea of the coloring and movement I'm going for. Luckily Capital Stone was nice enough and planned to come out so quickly to template. They even said we could possibly have our counter tops next week!

Appliances

After months of postponing delivery dates we are finally having the appliances delivered tomorrow! I know they won't be up and running right away but I must say, I'm looking forward to having a room that actually resembles a kitchen- in the last few months we've been calling an empty room with a cabinet or two our kitchen and it was very depressing.

So with everything starting to take shape I'm now worrying about the little details- cabinet hardware (I bought some already and now think I may have to reconsider my selection), the backsplash, the trash can/storage, paint and molding colors.. really all of the things I didn't get into earlier because I knew I wouldn't need them for a while. But it will all get done eventually.

I just can't help but think it would be a small miracle if we actually had a full-size working refrigerator to ring in the New Year with.. but if not I'll just have to clean out the mini fridge and make way for a bottle of champagne. Either way we've made great progress and it's worth celebrating!

Check back for more updates!

2 comments:

  1. I didn't see the tag line that says your husband is a contractor until after I posted the comment about the heat tape. Sorry, but I assumed you were both as inexperienced as I was when I renovated my first house. Hope you have fridge for the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No thank you for your comment! I should have mentioned safety hazzards, etc. I'm always glad to hear from readers. Have a wonderful holiday!!

    ReplyDelete